10 – 6 Months
- STYLE is going to influence everything, season, time of and the theme of the wedding
- DECIDE on the size and budget
- BOOK a venue and make sure about their smoking policy.
- BOOK a church
- ARRANGE a get together to compile a list of guests. Remember to involve both families, you are going to need them soon!
- BOOK the caterers
- ORGANISE the transport.
- IF you suspect your honeymoon might be over the border, get your passport ready.
- BOOK a photographer and or videographer
- BOOK entertainment (DJ/Band) for the reception
- BOOK a designer/dressmaker for your wedding gown and bridesmaids’ dresses
- VISIT the minister and organist and make arrangements for the ceremony. find out if they allow confetti – many churches have special requests regarding that.
- DECIDE what you are going to do about invitations.
6 – 3 Months
- FINALISE your guest list
- ORDER or make your own stationery
- ORDER a wedding cake, if it is not being supplied by the caterer
- BOOK accomodation for the wedding night
- GO shopping for the honeymoon as well as for gifts for the ushers, attendants and your husband-to-be
- BUY or hire the groom’s outfit and make sure the men in the bridal party know what sort of clothes they are expected to wear
- IF your engagement ring needs alterations discuss it with you jeweller
- MEET again with the officiating officer and arrange a rehearsal
- BOOK the musicians for the ceremony and discuss your requirements with the organist
- MAKE an appointment with a lawyer, if you don’t want to get married in community of property and to explain your options.
- BOOK your make-up artist as well as your hairdresser for the day and for a rehearsal
3 – 2 Months
- POST your invitations at least 6 weeks before the wedding
- BUY his wedding band
- FINALISE the menu with the caterers
- VISIT the florist and order bouguets, buttonholes and corsages. (Discuss the flowers for the ceremony and the reception)
- BUY your shoes and underwear for the day
- KEEP a list of replies to your invitations
- VISIT your hairdresser and remember your veil or headdress to check if the style will work
- VISIT the make-up artist for a test
- DECIDE on reception seating and write the place cards
- COLLECT your dress and accessories and make sure everything fits (Keep it in a safe and clean place)
- CHECK that the bridesmaids dresses are finished and that they fit
- GET confirmation in writing from each and every person. If necessary fax them a map and an emergency cellphone number for the wedding day